Thursday, January 13, 2005

Tickle me David

This week I've had a napping breakthrough with "he who will not sleep" (at least, not when I want him too). We told the babysitter last week we'd like her to try to stress a nap in the morning. He has now established a pattern of napping from 11am to noonish. He comes home, eats lunch, plays on the floor with his mommy (that's me!) and then around 2:30 or 3:00 we head for the bed. I snuggle him up next to me and start to eat his little fat fingers. The giggles that pour forth melt my heart. I tickle his tummy and back and munch on his fingers and arms until we drift off to sleep. This special time with him restores my soul and fills me with joy.

Believe it or not he will go to sleep for the night around 7 or 8, even if he wakes up from the last nap at 5:30. No more fussing or fighting at nap time and bed time.

But, if life were a bed of roses I'd be too content to post this blog. The Doctor told us on Tuesday to increase his formula feedings during the day and to stop feeding him at night so as to encourage our wee one to Sleep Through The Night. Yeah, right.

We decided to give him a bottle at bedtime and when he first wakes up, between 11 and midnight. Then nothing but water until morning. Remember how you're not supposed to give Gremlins water or food after midnight. Well David turns into a Gremlin if you only give him water after midnight. The pattern for the last THREE nights is to wake up around 2 or 3 and cry/scream until after 4am.

News Flash son: School starts next week and I hear baby boys bounce. Here's hoping my son gets the hint in the next few nights. Mom may not be as understanding when she is deprived of her soul rejuvenating Tickle me David nap.

No comments: