Sunday, July 11, 2004

Goodbye Fr. Michael.

Reflecting on the current-events entries that I post to this blog, I realize that I have neglected to say anything about our priest's departure. Fr. Michael began serving at the parish here in Topeka on the day that Jaime and I were married in KC--the Sunday after the Feast of SS Peter and Paul, 2001--the same year that the Museum opened. His last day at this parish was the same Sunday, three years later; the same year that museum closed.. He is moving to Washington so that his wife, Makrina, can be closer to her family. Because of my position as Parish Council Secretary, I was asked to make the official "goodbye" speech at the going-away lunch. I will share my comments here to the best of my recollection.

As I said, I was asked to talk because I am on Parish Council. In that role, I got to serve with Fr. Michael in his capacity as the leader of this community. There are a variety of leadership "styles." Fr. Michael's style is very much that of the "friend." He as been our parish family's father as well as the cool uncle. As he and Makrina leave us, the loss is very much that of loosing friends and we will miss them the way that we miss close friends. But I also think that he maintained the delicate friend/leader balance well. While striving to be our friend, he did not fail to articulate a vision for this parish and guide it towards that goal. As he leaves us, we are a parish that has a vision and a plan for our future. I think that his tenure here will be regarded as a "transitional period" for our parish and he as done a good job taking us through the transition from mission to parish and has helped us develop a strong lay-leadership base that we can carry forward with our next priest.

And I am confident that as he and Makrina leave, they will will also feel that they are leaving good friends. But more than that, they will be leaving the best parish that they will ever have the privilege to serve. Ss. Peter and Paul is a "family" like no other parish can be and I am confident that in his future positions, he is never going to pastor another family that is as tight-knit and loving as this one. So we are saying goodbye to a dear friend, a leader, our Father, and our cool uncle. We also have to say "congratulations" to Makrina--Dr. Jody, MD--for successfully completing her residency and getting a position in a family practice in Spokane. We will also dearly miss her.. Thank you both for being a part of our lives, good luck with your future, and please pray for us. We wish you both many many years. Axios!

No comments: