Friday, July 23, 2004

four months

David is four months old yesterday.  He weighs 15 pounds, 14.5 ounces--a big fish.

He is living up to his "turtle" nick-name--only in reverse.  He rolls over now from his back to his front as a matter of course.  However, rolling from front to back is more difficult (apparently) and he does not like to be on his tummy.  So it's roll, pause, whine, daddy turns him over, pause, roll, pause, whine, etc. 

In a bored, almost sleepy moment on Monday, started going "ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh--" a long, dull monosyllable.  I put my finger to his mouth and wiggled it up and down producing a "badabadabadabadabada."  He rather liked that.  Now, I can put my finger to his mouth and half the time he will start with the "ahhhhhh."  The other half of the time, he just bites it.  I understand that one can catch a catfish by sticking one's hand into the holes that they make in the bank.  The fish will jump forward to bite the hand.  once the hand is in the fish's mouth grab quickly and pull.  David could be caught this way.  Just put . . . well . . .anything in front of his mouth and wait for him to clamp on.

Being four months old means getting to go on longer outings.  This week we went to Junction City to watch uncle Cory play baseball (see "around the horn").  Cory played great, the team played good, but their opponents served themselves up like the catfish that just jumps in the boat.  They ended in the seventh because of an 11-point spread.

Being four-months old means getting to go on even longer outings than that, though.  I took mother and child to the airport today and they flew to Colorado to be with Grandma Susie and Grandpa Stevie.  I will join them in a week.  I haven't decided if I will spend my first whole week sans wife and child writing my novel or curled up in a ball by the phone waiting for them to call.  I have heard that David was a dream on the plane, but will leave the details for his mother to post.  Perhaps she can find more ways of working fish references into her post.

Pictures on the way.

Later, fish fans.

No comments: