Wednesday, May 19, 2004

two months

I can only take a moment, but I feel obligated to post at the two-month mark (which was two days ago).

The event was somewhat overshadowed by the fact that we are moving.

David seems to be a happy little baby and very active--kicking and flailing like mad just to let us know that he is awake and ready for . . . whatever. His grip is getting very strong--painful at times--and more deliberate. He still flails his head when he is sleepy. He gets fussy, rears his head back, slams his face into my collar-bone, and then gets this pouty look on his face like I hit him.

This morning he made sounds that were all the world like a laugh. If anything at all were going on to stimulate him, I would swear that he was laughing. But we were not doing anything. We were just watching him thrash violently and fart. Maybe he is at the stage where he thinks farts are funny--I hear that boys go through that.

He slept for five hours straight on Monday night which is the clinical definition of "sleeping through the night" (clinicians sleep a lot less than the average person), but he hasn't slept more than about two hours at a time since then. My conversation with Jaime yesterday:

Me: How is David?
Jaime: (sleepy, frustrated) I don't like David very much today
Me: Well, you don't have to like him everyday.

We are moving in with my parents and their two dogs and a snake. David now has the pleasure of four people watching him. I don't know what he thinks about it, but Jaime and I think that it rocks. Really, it is the only way to have kids. If you have a baby, I recommend that you just go find another couple to live with and all four of you raise it. On those days were you don't like the baby, someone else can spend time with him, acting as a buffer. He or she could grow up that way: "This is my mom and dad and these are my buffer parents for those days when mom and dad don't feel like I'm worth the effort."

Ok, if I think of anything else interesting, I'll post.