Monday, May 31, 2004

developments

We had a couple of developmental steps this weekend. David actually has "playtimes" now wherein he will lay on a little quilted mat and kick and thrash, hit at toys that hang from foam bars that arch over the mat, and laugh at his farts. Playtime ends with a poo and a nap. Someday "playtime" will be replaced with "Readers Digest time". During his playtime on Saturday, I put one of his (many) noise-making toys within reach of his right foot so that it would make noise when kicked. It didn't take long for David to figure this out and started kicking rapidly with his right foot while rarely with his left foot--probably ten kicks right to one kick left. Then, I moved the toy over to the left side. After a couple of kicks, he figured out what was going on and started kicking rapidly with his left foot. However, he also kept up with the right foot. It was pretty thrilling. But it doesn't end there. He has more extremities, right?

Yesterday (Sunday), during playtime, I noticed that he was grabbing his shirt a lot. Excited by this, I put one of his toys on his chest. He grabbed it at brought to (near) his mouth! This is very exciting as being able to hold things is an important stage in his growth. He doesn't actually hold anything for very long yet, but he is the Helen Keller of grabbing things--I can grab daddy's shirt and I can grab daddy's skin and I can grab mommy's necklace and I can grab hair add a that belt and. . ..

He is ten weeks old today. According to What to Expect the First Year, he should be able to accept bribes, reverse his position according to the lobbyist in his office, and lie while smiling . . .wait, sorry, that's according to What to Expect When You are Elected.

We spent this weekend at Grandpa Gary's. David's uncle Grant and Aunt Tina got to meet him for the first time. It was great fun. I have photos but the computer is in the shop (I'm typing on Skylar's). I will post them soon, promise.

later

Blogger's spell-check did not recognize "farts" or "poo." There must not be a lot of baby blogs at Blogger.

No comments: