Monday, May 10, 2004

jaime's first mother's day--jason battles dingos

I am thinking about paying my mother-in-law to live with us. Grandma Susie is packing up to return to Colorado and we shall miss her. She has taken good care of David and Jaime while I was living at the Museum, and she is great with the baby. We have gotten really spoiled--sleeping more than the average parents and dealing with a crying baby less. When he really gets going and we just don't want deal with it, we turn on the bat-signal and grandma comes to save the day (night). No more. Now we have to go for a whole week of parenting by ourselves before we move in with Jaime's mother-in-law.

We spent Jaime's first mother's day with family in Kansas City. It was a rare opportunity for four generations to be together. Company included David's second-cousin, Sam. I was remiss in not posting the news about Sammy's birth less than 48 hours before David was born. He was born to Jaime's first cousin Michelle, and her husband Cary. But I have an alibi for my neglect--namely a bill that proves I was busy at the hospital for a couple of days myself. The two babies are pretty cute together and when they are both crying, it's a lovely concert.

A story about Jaime's very first Mother's Day present:

Unbeknownst (sp?) to Jaime, I snuck off to the Mall one evening after work to get the present she told me that she wanted. I knew that she and her mom were on the West side of town at the same time that I was at Penney's. Well, I could guess that anyway. I think they spent more time in Sam's Club than at the apartment these last three weeks. However, I didn't think they had any need to go to the Mall. Just as I finished paying for her gift, I heard a baby cry. The hair on my neck stood on end and I went into hyper-alertness. That was not just some random crying baby; that was My Son. I took up my spear and headed off towards my offspring's distressed cries ready to battle dingos to save his life, if need be. I spotted him across the housewares department. Dingos didn't have him, thank God. Grandma Susie did. She saw me and I motioned for her to keep quiet as I snuck away before Jaime saw me.

I just thought it was very cool. I grew up on a rich diet of programs like "Mutual of Omaha's 'Wild Kingdom.'" Plain's grazers in Africa and momma bears in the Rockies can always distinguish the cry of their own offspring. So if a dingo goes after the calf of some Africa Gazelle, it will cry out and the mother can immediately know that something is amiss because dingos are an exclusively Australian species. So chances are the distressed calf is just crying "dingo" to get attention. I think that must be what David was doing.

No comments: