Saturday, January 21, 2006

today, i bellowed

I discovered a new disciplinary technique today--yelling at the top of my lungs. Wow, that is some powerful stuff. David is more-or-less getting over being sick but he still has a cough. Jaime and I, on the other hand, have heads more full of snot than anything else. Jaime is nauseous to boot. So we are way low energy. Way. Low. David, however, has movement and mischief to make up for, so he has dispensed with listening to me at all. For awhile, I was content with establishing reasonable boundaries and disciplining him when he crosses them. By the end of the day, however, I decided it would be easier to just scream.

And it worked.

Try it sometime. Sneak up on someone who is not expecting it, someone whom you don't normally yell at, someone who is ignoring you and who is yelling loudly about your attempts to enforce reasonable boundaries. Just bellow at him like a stuck walrus.

Shuts him right up, let me tell you.

No comments: