Friday, August 27, 2004

the color and consistency of david's new poop.

As we should all have learned by now, when our diet changes, so does our poop. The only difference for babies is the monumental gross-factor. David has transitioned from a primarily mothers-milk diet to a primarily formula diet for reasons that I might discuss later. Accordingly, his poo has changed from mildly gross to revolting. This is enhanced by the fact that a baby his age only poops once or twice a week so when it is time to change the diaper, industrial machinery is needed. Babies and diapers have many wrinkles and creases capable of holding--of packing in--pounds and shillings of poop.

The primary change in the poop has been its color and consistency. Last week, I could smell him from across town, so I came home and changed him. His diaper was modestly full of a substance that is the consistency of cake frosting out of a can and was a green-blue-gray color. This is a close approximation:



But I had changed him too quickly and he had more to produce. So, an hour later, I had to change him again. This time is was the consistency of lumpy chocolate syrup--like what is left on the plate after eating cake and ice cream. The color was more yellowy, like this:



Earlier this week, I waited longer to change him so when I opened the diaper, it was PACKED FULL. The majority was the green-blue frosting, but in the middle of that, like a topping, was the yellowy syrup. Like this:



Now I know that computer monitors vary wildly in how they produce color so you are not getting exactly the same thing as I am with my Adobe Gamma calibration and all. Feel free to come over and look at my screen sometime. Better yet, keep your nose open. When you smell him (which you will be able to from where you are sitting) come see what I am talking about live.

Later, smelly

No comments: