Sunday, April 25, 2004

IAQs

This has been an exciting fifth week. Not "exciting" like winning the Pulitzer prize for blogging, but "exciting" like, "wow, it's exciting how many diapers a person can change in five weeks; I had no idea."

The week began with the First Bottle. Mom pumped and Grandma Susie got to feed. This was followed by the excitement of Dad handling the 2:00 am feed while Mom slept for four hours straight for the first time in months. Mom's production is not quite up to feeding and providing extra meals, so when he takes the bottle it is a cocktail of milk and formula with a splash of Gripe Water--shaken (you fill in the rest). Toward the end of the week, he got his first bug. Minor fever, major fussiness. He got to have his nose plumbed with one of those little snot-extracting bulbs. The fussiness led to the First Use of a Pacifier.

I missed most of this because the Museum is my new home for a couple of weeks. Grandma Susie is filling in as Grandma, husband, maid, errand boy, and general angel. I wonder about 15 times a day how he is doing and if he wonders where I am or has he just forgotten all about me.

I learned this week that his name in Ethiopian is "Dawit"

My friend, Valerie, wondered via email what interesting question she could ask me so as not to ask some boring old question like "is he sleeping well" or "hey, buddy, what the heck is your problem?" I could earn a living with nickels from those. Well, for Val and anyone else unable to come up with a new question on your own, here are a few freebies:

"How many head injuries has he sustained as a result of his clumsy parents?"--three

"Who does he like best?"--In order, mom, grandma Susie, invisible person standing in the corner, dad.

"Which [euphemism] is his favorite?"--the left

"Should congress act now to pass legislation declaring that sweet baby smell an addictive substance like cocaine and cable tv and regulate it?"--yes, I could make a fortune on the black market selling David's smell.

No comments: